Friday, January 1, 2010

Goodnight my angel now it's time to sleep...

Oh sleeping...I feel like infant sleeping is one of those things that most parents fear...or at least I did...I guess because little babies doesn't do a whole lot of it. But in all actuality Little Cashew is a pretty good sleeper. When it comes to naps she has never been one for sleeping on her own. When I put her down for a nap during the day anywhere (crib, bouncy seat, pack and play...you name it) she is up within 30 minutes. Now 30 minutes for a nap is not sufficient at all...but it's something. Little Cashew loves to fall asleep while nursing, and to be honest, I love it too! And she will sleep for a solid hour and maybe 90 minutes on my lap. And it's such a wonderful feeling...am I making "bad habits"...mmm probably. But I don't know if I care all that much. I mean the most important thing to me is that she sleeps...she needs it, and when she doesn't sleep she gets so incredibly unhappy, and it pains me to see her that unhappy.

So yes I admit it, I am a nap bad habit forming mommy, and I am proud of it!

Overnight sleeping is another story. Initially we swaddled up our Little Cashew to sleep every night and put her down to sleep in the bassinet feature of her pack and play next to our bed. And that's how she slept for the first few months. Slowly increasing the long stretches of sleep she had for us like a good Little Cashew. Then we decided we would eventually need to de-swaddle her...she's a tall little lady and was already starting to break out of her swaddles. Here is where Carter's fleece sleep bags come into play...I've already blogged on my love of these. And she slept in her pack and play in her fleece bag through the Holidays.

And then came the crib transition. We figured it was time for our lovely Little Cashew to be sleeping in her crib in her own room. So we put her in her fleece bag, fed her and put her down to sleep in her crib and it went as well as one could hope. She slept for 7+ hours and has been doing so consistently since. Now I am thrilled to have our bedroom back...it's much less cluttered without the pack and play in there and Walnut and I can talk without whispering and fearing a burst of laughter from a funny story will wake her. But a piece of me is sad when I see this empty place in our room. Again I am mourning the loss of my little new born who needs to sleep right next to mommy. But I am so proud of her and how well she is doing...I just miss her.

And now for my crazy mommy moment...last night Walnut went to hang out with some friends for a few hours and I put Little Cashew to sleep (I think it was the first time Walnut wasn't there to put her to sleep) and after several attempts (partially due to mommy clumsiness and partially due to noisy neighbors) she was sleeping soundly...and I stood over the crib watching her, and I decided to lay down on the floor next to her crib. It wasn't because she was fussing and needed someone in there with her, it was completely for me...I wanted to be near her while she slept.

There is nothing quite like the peaceful sleep of a wonderful little baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment