Sunday, March 7, 2010

Adventures in babyfood making

My first attempt at making babyfood was yesterday...how did it go you ask? Epic FAIL!

Let me start at the beginning...Little Cashew is 6 months old now (::sobs:: How did she get so big??) and the pediatrician gave us the go ahead to give her some more foods. So shes been eating rice cereal and oatmeal, and we decided that last night would be baby's first veggies. Walnut and I did our homework and were reading up on wholesomebabyfood.com (thank goodness for that website) and decided peas would be Little Cashew's first veggie. Now in hindsight, this was our first mistake...because honestly I don't know a whole lot about peas...it's actually quite embarrassing for a vegetarian. So we took a family walk down to the grocery store and bought a few handfuls of peas thinking "Let's get enough, so she has a few meals worth" and when we got home I decided to get out the baby food maker and wash the peas. Now in my mind I pictured big round green peas that I would cook and mush together. So imagine my confusion when I began opening the pea pods to little minuscule nubins of peas. I guess peas are out of season in March...but I opened all of the pods and emptied out the teenie tiny pea bits into a bowl. It occurred to me at this point that maybe I was supposed to give her the pods also to eat...I still don't know...anyone? Beuller?

So now I have a bunch of empty pea pods and a bowl full of the saddest looking tiny peas anyone has every seen...but I was determined to make Little Cashew peas. Then I hit the next road block. The cooking basket on the babyfood maker was like a collander...it had holes of steaming, and all of the peas would have jsut fallen straight through! So I added some water to the peas and put them in the microwave instead.

Things were still going relatively okay at this point...I mashed the peas with the back of the spoon a little bit after the microwave to gauge their softness...I thought they were still a little under done, but I figured I would put them in the baby food maker, blend them up and cook them a little more if needed. So I spooned my sad looking peas into the blender portion, and hit blend...and then smack my palm against my head...The blades were spinning above the peas because there were so few in there!!!

About now is when I went a little crazy...

I scooped the peas out of the blender and began chopping them up with a knife! I had a decent paste going after like 10 min...but they were still a little under done...so I added some water and put them back into the microwave for a minute. I go to take them out of the microwave and they were BLACK!!!

I burned the peas in the microwave...who even knew that was possible!

Long story short...Little Cashew had oatmeal for dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment